Next, we found that Jesus gives a seven-mile Bible study to those on the road to Emmaus. Note what He said THEY (the entire Old Testament) SPEAK (every book, every chapter, even every detail) OF ME (the Bible is Christ-centered)!
Luke 24:25-27 Then He said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken!
26 Ought not the Christ to have suffered these things and to enter into His glory?”
27 And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.
In the thirty-nine Old Testament books, Christ is in the shadows, seen in analogies and in pictures. He is in types and rituals. He is prophesied and anticipated. The twenty-seven New Testament books complete the Old, revealing Christ in person, in truth and reality, in the present and acknowledged.
This led us to CHRIST IN GENESIS
Following are but a few of the references to Christ in Genesis.
1. THE CREATIVE WORD—Gen. 1:3; John 1:1–5; 2 Cor. 4:3–7;
2. THE LAST ADAM—Rom. 5; 1 Cor. 15:45;
3. THE SEED OF THE WOMAN—Gen. 3:15; Gal. 3:19; 4:4;
4. THE COVERINGS OF ADAM & EVE – Genesis 3;
5. THE ARK OF NOAH AND THE FLOOD—Gen. 6–10; 1 Peter 3:18–22;
6. THE PRIEST LIKE MELCHIZEDEK—Gen14; Heb. 7–10;
7. ISAAC, THE CHILD OF PROMISE—Gen. 17; Gal. 4:21–31 (Isaac pictures Christ in his miraculous birth, his willingness to die, and his “resurrection” [Heb. 11:19], and his taking of a bride. Of course, Jesus actually died and rose from the dead. In Isaac, these events were only symbolic.)
8. THE OFFERING LIKE ISAAC AND THE LAMB—Gen. 22:7–8; John 1:29;
9. LIKE JACOB’S LADDER—Gen. 28:12ff; John 1:51;
10. LIKE JOSEPH—Gen. 37–50 (Rejected by His brothers; beloved of the Father; made to suffer unjustly; exalted to reign. Joseph’s brothers did not recognize him the first time they saw him, but they did recognize him the second time. So with Israel is their recognition of their Messiah.)
CHRIST IN EXODUS:
According to Luke 24:27, 44–45 Christ is found in “all the Scriptures.” EXODUS 33:17 He is the One greater than the deliverer, Moses – He is Christ in ALL the Scriptures!
In Exodus we find Christ:
1. The Voice in the Burning Bush (3.1-6)
2. The Passover Lamb of God (12.1-28)
3. The Unleavened Bread (13.3-10)
4. The Rock/Pillar of Cloud and Fire leading them (13.21-22)
5. The Manna from Heaven (16.1-36)
6. The Source of Living Water (17.1-7)
7. The Tabernacle (25-40).